Friday, June 18, 2010

Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting



The Karate Kid version 2010 is a great upgrade from the original. Granted, not many teenagers will swoon over 12 years old Jaden Smith as many of my peers did over Ralph Macchio back in 1984, but lots of people WILL swoon over the amazing performance that Jaden delivers with a great kick to the heart strings! Jaden just has that ancient power harnessed by very few actors at such a young age. Trust me folks, this boy is someone we should watch!!! With Papa Smith near by, we can only hope for greater things...Let's hope that the discipline that brought Will where he is today will follow Jaden along his path to success!

Have I raved enough Jaden? Please don't think I'm a creeper, Jaden. You really have got talent & we all must admit that & bow down...Haha. But let's not forget Jackie Chan! It has been rumored all along that he has always wanted to be a dramatic actor. After more than a generation of films under his belt as a martial arts icon & often cast in comedic roles, its about time Chan gets his chance to throw his dramatic kicks & punches! Is he successful? Watch a touching scene where Jackie is brought to tears & you decide. I believe Jackie Chan is also another star we should watch in terms of expanding the dramatic roles that should be offered to him in the future.

As a whole, the film is very consistent with great drama & comedy thrown in with good measure. The action sequences are wonderful as well. Even more powerful to me is the effect music is used to establish the relationship between Jaden & his love interest. Forget the electric guitar girls, get out your violins & practice if you wanna win over the heart of that boy you've been eyeing :) As a result of the audition scene, I've decided to add to my iTunes library Chopin's Nocturne in C minor...Yeah, I'm a romantic sap! I don't care.

Even more powerful though is the message of the Karate Kid, old or new: Life will knock you down, but you can choose to get up!....Based on my own life experiences where I've felt more like the underdog hoping there's at least one person rooting for me with a Mr. Miagi or Mr. Han as my spiritual guide, I have opted to get up...Fall as many times as I might, I'll keep on getting up, with all the blood, bruises, sprains, and pain!

No comments: