Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Where Is Fluffy?...And Who are They?


Music Makes Love Go 'Round

There are many who have passed scowls against this movie.  Perhaps my bias comes from my infatuation with my "ideal man" Michael Cera, particularly as Nick.  Focused on others vs. himself, I find that appealing. Unabashed at what others might think of him, he hangs with friends who happen to be gay and plays guitar as well as "synthetic" drums for them in their band. But as all heroes, we have our weaknesses. And his ex-girlfriend seems to warp his good natured self.  Until Norah becomes an accidental part of his life in just one night that changes them forever. They both find themselves better for having known each other.  The one scene I enjoy is where Norah talks about an aspect of Judaism that says the world is made up of broken pieces and its up to us to bring them together....to which Nick replies, "Maybe we're the pieces....Maybe we're the pieces." Nearly in tears, Norah is compelled by both the simplicity and profundity of this statement.  Love has blossomed in this moment! :)

The music is awesome. I will have to investigate the soundtrack.  As far as movie criticism, there are hints of old '80's teen romances, with dialogue such as when Nick says, "I don't like to wash my jeans. I like to keep the night on them." Corny? Perhaps. There is also this vibe of campiness similar to Adventures in Babysitting (which one has to admit was funny...), with the search for Caroline inside a Scooby -doo van of misfits that make up Nick and Norah's party.

I have to admit, on the Richter scale of comedy and laughs, the reading would have to be fair if not zero.  There are cute moments and you get a few guffaws and one major gross out executed all too well by a female no less.  But could it match the buzzworthiness of JUNO, on which this movie seems to ride its coattails? Maybe not.

But what this movie taught me is opening up again my heart to the possibilities of what life has to offer, and how certain decisions must be made...as in the end

"Are you sad that we missed it?" asks Norah.
"No," Nick quickly responds with a smile. "This is it."

And both of them ride the escalator in each other's arms kissing....

Yes, I'm a sappy romantic, even if it does seem outrageous and unbelieveable.

No comments: